Replacing a roof can be very costly for homeowners, so having a clear understanding of changes in the shingles or roofing structure can mean the difference between a concern that needs to be monitored, and an issue that requires immediate attention. Here’s what homeowners should look out for.
When the edges of shingles begin to curl upward, called “cupping,” it’s very likely that the roof will need to be replaced soon. If the edges of shingles are flat, but the centers rise up, the shingles are considered to be “clawing.” In either situation, the roof will need to be replaced. Other tell-tale signs that a roof has reached its end are shingles that easily crack or break when bent on a warm day.
Bald spots aren’t just for men. Dark portions on shingles, where the sandpaper-like granules have fallen away, are known as “bald spots,” and are a sure sign that the roof is aging. If bald spots increase in size or become prevalent, the roof should be inspected right away.
Daylight Through the Roof
Seeing the light of day isn’t always a good thing. Rays of sunlight through roof boards is an obvious breach, which is a major concern since rain and snow can penetrate.
Don’t panic at the sight of an isolated handful of cracked shingles. This is indicative of wind damage, and the shingles can easily be replaced. But if cracked shingles are widespread, wind damage may persist and the roof might need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
A sagging roof needs immediate professional attention as it may indicate a structural issue. Valleys and dips in the roof can collect damaging rainwater and snow.
Are You Looking for a New Home in Irvine?
Call us at 949-385-1684 or get in touch with us online to let us know what you want from your next home and we’ll help you find it.
In the meantime, check out our:
- Airport area real estate listings
- Central Park West homes for sale
- Columbus Grove homes for sale
- Cypress Village real estate listings
- Eastwood Village homes for sale
- El Camino Real homes for sale
- Great Park homes for sale
- Hidden Canyon real estate listings
- Laguna Altura real estate listings
- Northpark homes for sale
- Northpark Squre homes for sale
- Northwood homes for sale
- Northwood Pointe real estate listings
- Oak Creek real estate listings
- Orangetree homes for sale
- Orchard Hills homes for sale
- Portola Springs real estate listings
- Quail Hill real estate listings
- Rancho San Joaquin homes for sale
- Shady Canyon homes for sale
- Stonegate homes for sale
- Stonegate East homes for sale
- Turtle Ridge homes for sale
- Turtle Rock real estate listings
- University Park real estate listings
- University Town Center real estate listings
- Walnut Village homes for sale
- West Irvine real estate listings
- Westpark I homes for sale
- Westpark II homes for sale
- Woodbridge homes for sale
- Woodbury homes for sale
- Woodbury East homes for sale